22 Oct 2006 • 1,067 views
Pena Palace, Sintra
Part of the fabulous Pena Palace that is perched on the top of the Serra de Sintra in Portugal.
The palace was built from 1839 onward. The work was directed by Baron von Eschwege for King Consort Dom Fernando II of Saxe Coburg Gotha, who had bought the ruins of the Hieronymite Monastery of Nossa Senhora da Pena. Some parts of the monastery were kept ~ the cloister, and chapel with its carved Renaissance reredos.
The design of the castle is based on the romantic styles of Bavaria but includes interpretations of Manueline, Moorish and Gothic art and architecture.
Old Man's Beard
Fairy Tale Villa...