Roman Theatre (Teatro Romano)
Sited right next to the amphitheatre (aeriel view) and constructed on instructions of consul Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa 15/16 B.C. this theatre vanished from view until excavation of the site began in 1910, restoration continued into 1960s/1970s.
In the 1992 UNSECO evaluation documents, it was described as :-
This classic Vitruvian semi-circular theatre, partly set into a low hill. The upper part (Suma cavea) is somewhat ruinous, but the lower sections proved on excavation to be well preserved. An inscription to M. Agrippa suggests that it was inaugurated in 16/15BC, and there is evidence of Flavian improvement; it was reconstructed in AD 333-5. It had an estimated seating capacity of 5,500. The scenae frons has been restored to its original height over much of its breadth
The theatre is perhaps the jewel in the crown of Mérida and, during the summer months, is the site for the "Festival of Classical Theatre of Mérida" which in 2010 was its 57th year.
There's more information about this theatre over at Wikipedia, but it's currently a bit garbled because of poor translations.
This image was stitched together using Serif Panorama Plus (shareware), the upload seems to have chewed the frame, but never mind.
|exposure mode||aperture priority|