Yes, these are the bells which inspired the song made famous by Bing Crosby in the film The Bells of St Mary's. The tune was originally written by the Australian composer A Emmett Adams and the lyrics by Douglas Furber, when they heard the bells ringing during 1914. It was introduced into the United States in 1917 and ever since has been the college song of the New York State Maritime College.
The peal now consists of ten bells. Originally it was an octave, cast at John Taylor's Foundry in Loughborough, given in memory of Robert Wingrove by his widow Mary Ann Wingrove in 1913, and a further two were added in 1934. They were brought to St Mary's from the Docks railway station in a horse-drawn procession. The bells were severely damaged in the air raid on Southampton in June 1940, and had to be recast and rehung in a new frame. The new ring of ten bells was consecrated in 1948.
|exposure mode||full manual|