16 May 2008 • 2,155 views
Monument to the Discoveries / Padrão dos descobrimentos
The Monument to the Discoveries / Padrão dos Descobrimentos at Belém, Lisbon.
This is the east side of the monument (the west 'prow' was shown yesterday) showing some of the truly amazing, and intricate detail of the carvings.
It's a stunning piece of work. Originally created as a temporary structure, in concrete, for the World Fair in 1940 but was recreated in stone in 1960 to celebrate the 500th anniversary of Prince Henry the Navigator.
On each side there are carvings of fifteen prominent Portuguese, including poets, explorers, churchmen, mathematicians, scientists ...
Here's the full list of the 30 featured Portuguese personalities, unfortunately it doesn't seem to list them in any particular order. (Taken from - Wikipedia - )
- Infante Pedro, Duke of Coimbra (son of King John I of Portugal)
- Queen Philippa of Lancaster (Henry the Navigator's mother)
- Fernão Mendes Pinto (writer)
- Friar Gonçalo de Carvalho
- Friar Henrique Carvalho
- Luís de Camões (renaissance poet who celebrated the navigations in the epic Lusiads)
- Nuno Gonçalves (painter)
- Gomes Eanes de Zurara (chronicler)
- Pêro da Covilhã (traveller)
- Jácome de Maiorca (cosmographer)
- Pedro Escobar (navigator)
- Pedro Nunes (mathematician)
- Pêro de Alenquer (navigator)
- Gil Eanes (navigator)
- João Gonçalves Zarco (navigator)
- Infante Fernando, the Saint Prince (son of King John I of Portugal)
- Henry the Navigator (sponsor of the Age of Discovery)
- Afonso V of Portugal
- Vasco da Gama (discoverer of the sea route to India)
- Afonso Baldaia (navigator)
- Pedro Álvares Cabral (discoverer of Brazil)
- Ferdinand Magellan (first to circumnavigate the globe)
- Nicolau Coelho (navigator)
- Gaspar Corte-Real (navigator)
- Martim Afonso de Sousa (navigator)
- João de Barros (writer)
- Estêvão da Gama (sea capitain)
- Bartolomeu Dias (first to cross the Cape of Good Hope)
- Diogo Cão (first to arrive to the Congo river)
- António Abreu (navigator)
- Afonso de Albuquerque (second viceroy of Portuguese India)
- Saint Francis Xavier (missionary)
- Cristóvão da Gama (captain)
I know, somewhere, there's a site with a mouse-over for the names, when I find it again I'll link to it.
Monument to the ...
Monument to the ...